Buhari: No more long convoys for ministers
Things are really taking new shape in Nigerian public service as President Muhammadu Buhari told the ministers-designate point-blank that they cannot have the usual long convoy of the vehicles and excess political aides.
One of the ministers and former governor of Anambra State, Chris Ngige, said after the Friday retreat hosted by President Muhammadu Buhari that the directive is part of the conservative plan necessitated by the financial stringent facing the nation.
Ngige said, “We are going to block areas of leakages, retinue of aides, protocol staff, large convoys of cars are things that will not fly in this administration.”
“So, we need to actually restructure the political and social moment of the country and that is what we are going to do. That means poverty will reduce,” Ngige said.
President Buhari had earlier declared that not all the ministers will be assigned a portfolio and it seems everything is indeed pointing in the same direction, viz ‘Nigeria is broke’.